The Apple Jalapeno Slaw is the real star of this show! The pork has a light sweet and smokey flavor which is great on it’s own, but paired with the slaw it’s a party in your mouth! The awesome thing about this is that it’s even better the next day! Give it a shot and let me know how you like it! You can make it a lettuce wrap for less carbs, eat it over a salad, put it on a whole wheat roll, or just pile it on your plate and dig in. Oh, the options!
I usually put the pork in the crock pot in the morning before I go to work and by dinner time it all comes together really quick.
When the pork is done, shred it up and make the sauce in a deep skillet. Stir the shredded pork in and there you have it for the pork. Let it sit for a bit to absorb all those flavors while you make slaw.
Chop all your salad ingredients and put together in a bowl. Now, about the jalapeno. You might be saying, “but I don’t like spicy”. Well, then you are no fun at all (jk) and here is the solution to your problem. If you completely cut out the seeds AND whitish membranes inside the pepper like the one on the left, it will be a mild pepper. I like a medium heat, so I seed one half and leave the seeds in the other. So do what you like…..
Whisk the slaw sauce up in a little bowl until it’s smooth, then pour over the slaw and mix to coat. Now I know at this point you will just want to dig in, but I promise you that if you let the slaw sit for 15-20 minutes in the fridge, it will be so much more full of flavor. It gives the sauce a chance to soften the cabbage a bit and the flavor and texture just amplifies. 🙂
Serve on a whole wheat roll. wrap it in lettuce or whatever floats your boat and have at it!
- 1 1/2 Pounds Cooked Shredded Pork Loin Roast
- 1 C chicken broth
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 3 T dark brown sugar
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t onion powder
- 2 T liquid smoke - divided
- 3 C cabbage slaw mix
- 1 small thin sliced apple
- 1 jalapeno seed, sliced thin
- 1/4 C chopped pecans
- 1/4 C Kraft olive oil mayo
- 1 1/2 T vinegar
- 1 T honey
- 1 t garlic salt
- 1/2 t cumin
- Place pork roast in a slow cooker and add 1 T liquid smoke and season with salt and pepper. Cover 7-8 hours or until it can be shredded.
- In a deep skillet, mix together chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, cumin, onion powder, and liquid smoke and bring to a simmer. Add in shredded pork and toss to coat with sauce. Turn off heat and cover so it can sit in the sauce and not dry out while you make the apple slaw.
- In a mixing bowl dump in cabbage slaw mix, apples, jalapeno, and pecans.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together mayo, vinegar, honey, garlic salt and cumin until smooth. Add to slaw mix and stir to coat.
- Let slaw sit for at least 15 minutes or so before serving to soften the cabbage in the sauce. I promise you it's way better if it sits for a bit. I even love it just as much as left overs the next day.
- Macros for 1 serving pork and slaw: Calories 231; Fat 8; Carbs 19; Protein 22
- Serving size: about 4 ounces pork, and about 3/4 C slaw
- Can eat as a lettuce wrap, in a whole wheat roll, or just pork with slaw on top!
- 1 whole wheat bolillo roll from walmart bakery (like in the picture) has 160 cal, 2.5 fat, 30 carbs, 7 protein