One of my new favorite side dishes these days is brussel sprouts! And much to my dismay, my family does NOT like them. Boo! But Honerstly, that just means I get to eat more, AND have the left overs the next day. So really in the end, it’s a win win. 🙂 I think they taste a lot like broccoli, but that’s just me.
So anyway, I had to make a salad for a family get together the other week and this is what I had in my fridge. You all have had the broccoli bacon salad, right? Well, this reminds me of that only with a balsamic twist in the dressing. It was a big hit at the get together, so I figured I better write it down and try it again just to make sure. Well, I’m sure that I love it! And I think that you will, too. It’s perfect to take to a bbq, gathering, or just a side with your grilling this summer.
Start by roasting your sprouts for a bit in the oven. Cut them each in half and give them a spray with non stick spray. Sprinkle with some fresh ground pepper and kosher salt. 375 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes – just until the edges start to brown and you can smell the yumminess in your kitchen. Take them out and let them cool all the way. I usually do this a couple hours before I need to serve the salad.
While the sprouts are roasting, cut up your bacon into small pieces and fry until crispy in a frying pan (or crumble after frying). Drain off the fat, and let it cool on some paper towel to absorb some fat.
When your cooked ingredients are ready, add your sprouts, bacon, pecans, and crasins to a mixing bowl and whisk your dressing ingredients together in a different small bowl.
Pour your dressing over the salad and toss it all together to coat. Just before you are ready to serve it, toss in the crumbled blue cheese and give another quick stir. And that’s it! Enjoy it on the side of any meal or even as a main dish!
- 2 lb raw brussel sprouts
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 C Crasins
- 1/3 C chopped pecans
- 1/4 C crumbled blue cheese
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T balsamic dressing
- 1 T brown or Dijon mustard
- 1 T honey
- 1/2 t garlic salt
- fresh ground pepper
- A couple hours ahead of time, cut brussel sprouts in half and put on baking sheet. Spray with nonstick spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in a 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, just until the edges start to brown. Let cool completely.
- Cook and crumble 1/2 pound bacon and let cool.
- Add brussel sprouts, bacon, pecans, and crasins to a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and pour over salad.
- Just before serving, toss in blue cheese and gently stir again.
- Macros: Calories 203; Fat 11.8; Carbs 19; Protein 7.6
- Serving size: 1/8 of salad (Sorry, I forgot to weigh it before I served it!)