These decadent bad boys have no oil, refined sugar (sweetened with honey), or butter! They are gluten free too! Look at all that chocolaty goodness….what more do I need to say? They are so moist and fudgey, I have to give some to my family, because I will eat the whole pan in 5 flat. It took me about 10 tries to get this recipe just right but I really like what I ended up with! If you need a chocolate fix, but are trying to stay on track and be good, these can definitely fit into your macros or you calories. The best part is that you get a big brownie! I get so let down when I’m reading a healthy brownie recipe and the serving size is 1/16th of an 8×8 pan. I mean who can only eat one little tiny square?? This recipe only makes you cut the brownies into 9 squares, and they are good and thick :). So if you have a couple of really ripe bananas sitting around that you don’t know what to do with, turn your oven on to 350 and let’s do this!
You will use 1 cup of rolled oats that have been ground up in your food processor. It doesn’t have to be powdery like flour, just ground pretty good. Honestly, if you don’t have a food processor, it would probably turn out fine just using them whole. Just a little different texture. But I like the grind them up so it looks like this:
In your mixer, add your mashed bananas, apple sauce, egg, honey, vanilla, and greek yogurt and mix it on medium until everything is very well mixed. Add in your chocolate oat mixture and mix until just combined. Add in chocolate chips and stir just to incorporate. You don’t want to over mix brownies! Pour into a greased (or parchment lined) 8×8 pan.
Bake @ 350 for about 45 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool and add a sprinkling of powdered sugar on top if you like. I like!
- 1 C rolled oats, ground in food processor (gluten free if necessary)
- 1/2 C unsweetened coco powder
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 egg
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1/2 C apple sauce
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/4 C honey
- 2 T greek yogurt
- 1/4 C mini chocolate chips (gluten free if necessary)
- powdered sugar for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Grind oats in food processor. Add oats, coco powder, baking soda and powder, and salt to a bowl and mix well.
- Add the remaining ingredients except chocolate chips to you mixer and mix on medium and 1-2 minutes. Add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Add in chocolate chips and mix to incorporate.
- Grease an 8x8 pan and pour in batter. Bake about 45 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool and sprinkle powdered sugar on top if you want.
- Macros: Calories 142; Fat 3; Carb 27; Protein 3
- Serving size 1/9 of pan