Well we have made it to day 19 on the whole 30! Things are going good so far and we are feeling great. I think last time I said that I was missing my oatmeal. Still am, but today I’ve been missing peanut butter! If you have read many of my past posts, you know that I love my peanut butter. While I am not a person to really get in to “diets” or extremes when it comes to eating, (because I love all food!) we decided to do this because #1 it was only for 30 days (I wouldn’t eliminate grains and dairy full time) and #2 we needed to give our guts a break from all the junk we ate over the holidays and give it time to clean out and heal. So would I recommend this for everyone? Maybe. You never know unless you try something how it’s going to be for you, and it all depends on the reasons behind it.
Anyway, here is another creation to give variety to your whole 30 diet. I made a whole bunch of sauteed brussel sprouts and mushrooms along with a bunch of shredded chicken and just kept it in the fridge to take to work for the week. Then each morning, I would mix up some dressing and throw in some walnuts and off to work I went. Here is the Whole 30 Home Made Mayo Recipe.
I guess you could eat this cold like a salad. It’s pretty similar to my Balsamic Bacon and Brussel Sprout Salad, but I actually liked this one warmed up and ate it hot. I also found a sweeter balsamic vinegar that you could buy at an oil and vinegar specialty shop and I must say that it has made all the difference in the world. A-Mazing. Regular balsamic is fine, it will just be more tart which I like, also. Give it a try and let me know what you think! This one will be a keeper even after the Whole 30!
Also check out my Chicken Zucchini Salad (Whole 30)!
- 5 oz cooked shredded chicken
- 1/2 C brussel sprouts
- 1/2 C baby bella mushrooms
- 1 oz chopped walnuts
- 1 T olive oil mayo (or homemade mayo if Whole 30) recipe link above
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 t Italian seasoning
- 1/8 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t kosher salt or to taste
- fresh ground pepper
- In a medium sized frying pan, saute your brussel sprouts (halved) on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add in your mushrooms (quartered) and cook for about another 4-5 minutes unitl mushrooms are cooked through. Add in your cooked shredded chicken and chopped walnuts and toss until hot. Take off the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together your mayo, vinegar, and the rest of the seasonings until smooth.
- Pour out over chicken mixture and toss to coat everything.
- I usually make 4 times this recipe of the chicken, brussel sprouts, and mushrooms and keep in the fridge. Then each day, I mix up the dressing and toss it all together with the walnuts and heat up in the microwave at work.