This mix is so awesome to have on hand!! You can use it in so many recipes to kick any mexican food up a notch. I love making my own because I have control over the heat level (I like it spicy!) and the salt level. I feel like there is way too much sodium and msg in the little packets which makes we way thirsty and retain a lot of water for a day after I eat it. This has just as much, or more flavor, than the packets and is all natural!
About the lime pepper, my step mother-in-law gave me some a while back and I fell in love. It’s such a great spicy citrus seasoning. I will hunt it down and update when I find where you can buy it from. She says it’s from Sam’s or Costco.
- 4 T Chili Powder
- 2 T Cumin
- 1 t Garlic Powder
- 2 t Paprika
- 1 T Course Kosher Salt
- 2 t Lime Pepper (you can use regular, just won't have the lime flavor)
- 1 t Onion Powder
- 1/2 t Ground Coriander (optional)
- Just mix all the spices and keep in an air tight container. Use about 2 T of mixture per 1 pound ground meat. Can also add 1/4 cup or more of water with the meat and spices to make it more saucy.
- I like to make a lot at a time and just keep in the cupboard in a plastic container with an airtight lid. You will get about 4 uses out of this amount.
- Chili powders and Paprika powders vary in heat. If you get smoked paprika, it's hotter, but very flavorful. You can also get mild or medium chili powder. Just be aware of what you are getting :). Also, I go get most of these spices at WinCo in bulk and it's ridiculously cheap!