If you are saying to yourself, “that looks good”, I’m here to say that it is! It’s like a warm comforting bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup, Asian style. 🙂 This soup uses rice noodles instead of regular noodles so it’s also gluten free! I absolutely love rice noodles! Now of course you could skip the noodles altogether and this would be a low carb soup, but I love the texture and flavor of the noodles so I say yes to noodles. 🙂
You will want to start soaking your rice noodles according to package instructions before you get going on the rest of the soup because they take the longest. I tried making this soup once just putting the noodles in with the soup to cook but it didn’t turn out the best. The rice noodles just keep soaking up liquid and then became a little too soft. I have found that it turns out best if you soak the noodles until soft and then serve them individually in each bowl, spooning the rest of the soup over top. That way you can also measure out exactly how much you are eating.
I think the easiest and most flavorful way to cook the chicken for this is to boil the chicken and then use the water you boil the chicken in for the liquid in the soup. So in a medium sauce pan, put in one pound of chicken and enough water to cover the chicken completely. Make sure to salt the water pretty good. Bring to a boil and let simmer until cooked through, about 20 minutes depending on how thick your chicken is.
Take the chicken out and let it rest just a minute on a cutting board. Reserve 4 cups of the water in the sauce pan. Slice the chicken into bite sized pieces and put it back into the water along with the carrots, celery, mushrooms, garlic, and bullion. Bring back to a simmer and let cook about 10 minutes until veggies are tender.
When veggies are about done, pour in can of coconut milk, curry paste, lime juice, and sesame oil. You may also want to add some salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer another 5 minutes or so. To serve, measure out one serving of soft rice noodles into a serving dish, and spoon soup on top. Top with sliced green onion and cilantro. I also like a dash of sriracha sauce. 🙂
Seriously though, so delicious!!
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 6 oz dry rice noodles
- 3 oz sliced carrots
- 3 oz sliced celery
- 3 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 2 t minced garlic cloves
- 4 t chicken bullion
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 2 T red curry paste
- 2 T lime juice
- 1 T sesame oil
- 3-4 sliced green onions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak rice noodles according to package directions.
- Place chicken in a medium sauce pan and cover with water. Salt the water. Bring to a simmer and let cook until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking slice veggies.
- When chicken is done, take it out of the water and reserve 4 cups liquid in pan. Slice chicken into bite sized pieces and return to pan. Add sliced carrots, mushrooms, celery, and garlic. Bring to a simmer and let cook covered until veggies are tender. About 10 minutes.
- When veggies are almost done, add coconut milk, lime juice, curry paste, and sesame oil. Stir together and bring back to a simmer. Let cook another 5 minutes or so.
- To serve, divide softened rice noodles into 5 serving bowls and spoon soup on top. Top with green onions and cilantro.
Macros: Calories 336; Fat 8; Carbs 34; Protein 25
You should get about 14 oz of soup in each bowl and about 5-6 oz of egg noodles but the noodles will weigh differently depending on how much water they soaked up, so weigh all your noodles when they are soft and then divide by 5.