Now here’s part two to my last post! I showed you all my Home Made Enchilada Sauce so that you would be all ready to go for this incredibly tasty meal. 🙂 You will also be using my Home Made Taco Seasoning in the mix so hopefully you have some of that on hand. No worries if you don’t, you can use regular taco seasoning if that’s what you have. This dish is like a wonder mix between chicken tamales, and chicken enchiladas. I mean for real, how could you go wrong with that? We love Mexican food at our house and I would say that we have it at least twice a week. Sometimes more. 🙂
It really is quite easy to throw together. I guess you could make your own corn muffin mix too if you are feeling that adventurous, but I was going for ease, like usual. So I just called upon my good friend Mr. Jiffy to help me out tonight.
I love Jiffy muffin mixes because they are so cheap and you can throw them together so fast. No this is not a sponsored add for Jiffy, just my opinion. 🙂 To this mix, you are going to add the egg and milk it says to on the box, but then you take it up a notch by adding in a can of diced green chilies and taco seasoning. Mix this all up and set aside. Add your cooked chicken to a sprayed baking dish. Mine was a deep dish pie pan.
Pour about 1/2 cup of your enchilada sauce on top of the chicken and mix it around a bit. Then pour the corn muffin mix on top of that and make sure it gets pressed down into the chicken. Cover it with foil and bake for about 20 minutes. Take it out of the oven and immediately pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top of the muffin mixture and top with cheese. My picture only has half cheese because my husband can’t have it. 🙁 Bummer for him. Leave uncovered and bake for another 20 minutes or until the muffin mixture is baked through. You can test it with a toothpick or something.
Pull it out of the oven and let it sit for about 10 minutes to cool a bit and then you are ready for dinner! The easiest way to serve it is to slice it up like a pie. I slice it in half first, and then thirds on each side.
It is so yummy with some fresh avocado and Greek yogurt! Haha, I know this serving looks small. I didn’t quite get the whole thing, I realized after I took the pictures! 🙂
- 24 oz cooked cubed chicken
- 1 Jiffy Corn Muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 C milk
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 T taco seasoning (my home made recipe link above)
- 1 C enchilada sauce (my home made recipe link above)
- 1 C shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix up Jiffy Corn Muffin mix with the egg and milk according to directions. Add in the green chilies and taco seasoning. Set aside.
- Spray a deep dish pie pan or other baking dish about that size with nonstick spray. Add in diced cooked chicken.
- Pour 1/2 C enchilada sauce on chicken and mix around a little.
- Pour muffin mixture on top of chicken and press it down into the chicken.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and immediately pour the other 1/2 C enchilada sauce over top and add shredded cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake uncovered for about 20 more minutes or until muffin mixture is cooked through.
- Let cool about 10 minutes before serving.
- Suggested toppings: Greek yogurt or sour cream, hot sauce, avocado, cilantro, lime
Macros: Calories 370; Fat 11.9; Carbs 31.4; Protein 32.1
by Jenny Nielson