One of our favorite Meatless Monday meals! Huevos Rancheros are so fast and easy to make and each person in your family can create their own just the way they like it. Of course my kids only like them with the tortilla, beans, and egg, and cheese. They are so boring 🙂 How can you not love a plate that looks as gorgeous as this!
The only things your have to cook for this are your veggie pan salsa and your fried eggs. I will let you in on a little secret. When we are crunched for time, I just use a store bought fresh salsa, or my Home Made Restaurant Style Salsa, but I love the flavors of this quick pan salsa when we have the time.
Chop up your tomatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic and throw them in a non stick frying pan with a little non stick spray and some salt and pepper and chili powder. Cook and stir on medium heat for about 5 minutes and then set aside.
Then I usually get my breakfast griddle out to fry my eggs so that I can cook 8 eggs at once. Cook them how you like; hard fried, scrambled, or over easy.
Open your can of refried beans and warm them in the microwave. Now it’s time to layer!
Start with a warm corn tortilla (I warm them on the griddle). Next, spread your beans on and top with your egg. Scoop on your warm pan veggies. Then I put on a hand full of cabbage slaw mix, sliced avocado, fresh cilantro, and feta cheese. It would also be delicious with Mexican Cojita cheese, but since most people don’t have that on hand, I went with feta. And there you have it! Quick, easy and full of fresh veggies. 🙂
- 1 white corn tortilla
- 2 T no fat refried beans
- 1 large egg cooked how you like it
- 1/2 C cabbage slaw
- 1/2 roma tomato chopped
- 1/4 C sweet peppers chopped
- 2 T chopped white onion
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1/4 t chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 T chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 oz sliced avocado
- 1 T feta cheese (or Cojita)
- Heat a frying pan to medium heat and spray with non stick spray. Add tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes. Take off heat and set aside.
- Heat a griddle and cook your eggs how you like them.
- Warm your refried beans in the microwave.
- Warm your tortilla on the griddle or microwave.
- On your tortilla, layer starting with the beans, then egg, pan veggies, cabbage slaw, avocado, cilantro, and cheese.
- The ingredients listed above and Macros are for just one. Multiply ingredients by how ever many people are in your family or by how many you want to eat. I usually eat 2 for dinner!
- Macros: Calories 250; Fat 11; Carbs 26.7; Protein 12