Do you ever have trouble getting your kids to eat salad for dinner? Or at all for that matter? Give this one a try! My family loves this salad and it really has it all! When my kids were younger, they weren’t too excited about the lettuce, so I would leave it out for them, but they would gobble up the pasta, chicken, bacon, and veggies. Now that they are a little older, they actually eat the lettuce and everything just fine, and get this, are excited to have this for dinner! I know, right? I mean, really, all you have to say if bacon and avocado in the same sentence and you have my attention.
This salad is actually a great pot luck salad because it easily feeds a lot, if you just add a little more lettuce. Next bbq invite, you will steal the show! And you don’t even have to feel guilty about eating a huge bowl. It’s all good for you. Just make sure you find a good lite dressing. Dressing can really make or break your salad as far as nutrition goes.
- 1 lb cooked, chopped chicken breast
- 6 oz dry whole wheat pasta (cook according to package directions)
- 1 small to medium head of lettuce chopped (green leaf, red leaf, or romaine)
- 10 strips turkey bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 roma tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 C chopped green onion
- 1 medium avocado diced
- 1/4 C feta cheese
- 1/2 C lite italian dressing of choice
- Cook and cube chicken. I think it tastes best if it's grilled, but can be boiled, broiled or pan fryied.
- Cook pasta according to package directions but stop a minute or two before really soft, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Pan fry bacon, or microwave until crispy them crumble.
- Chop tomatoes, onions, avocado, and lettuce.
- Dump everything into a bowl and toss with feta cheese and italian dressing.
- You really can use any type of vinegrette or italian dressing. So if you have your favorite lite dressing, go for it!!