Carrots, you say? Why yes carrots. And why not? My dad always made fajitas for us growing up and he always put carrots in them and I have no idea why, but I love it! I couldn’t make fajitas any other way. Maybe he was just trying to sneak in more veggies, or he just had some he didn’t know what to do with at the time, but it stuck and now that’s how we roll. Don’t knock it until you try it ;).
This is a super simple quick recipe that can be done about as fast as it takes to cook the chicken and can be enjoyed so many ways. You could go with the traditional tortillas (I like the whole wheat tortilla factory ones from Costco), or you could turn it into a salad with guac and salsa for low carb.
Set your skillet on the stove and turn it to medium high heat. While that’s heating, slice up your chicken pretty thin and toss it into the warm skillet and season with some salt and pepper. Stir fry the chicken until almost done.
When the chicken is almost there, throw in the carrots first and let them cook for a few minutes before the other veggies. Then dump in the rest of the veggies and stir fry for another 5 minutes or so.
Ummm. So beautiful! When the veggies get to the point of tender crisp and the chicken is completely cooked through, add in the Home Made Salsa and Taco Seasoning. You can find those recipes here and here.
Serve up how you like!
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast sliced
- 1 C thin sliced carrots
- 1 C sliced onions
- 1 C sliced sweet peppers (red, green, orange or yellow)
- 1/2 C Home Made Restaurant Style Salsa
- 2 T Home Made Taco Seasoning
- Heat large nonstick deep dish skillet to medium high heat and add chicken. Stir and sautee chicken until almost done.
- Add sliced carrots in first and give them about a 3-4 minute head start.
- Add in remaining veggies and stir fry for another 5 minutes or so.
- Add salsa and taco seasoning and stir to coat everything. Let simmer a couple more minutes then you are ready to go! You can also add 1/4 c of water if you want in more saucy.
- Optional ways to serve: in a tortilla, over a salad, with guacamole, greek yogurt, or cheese.
- Macros: Calories 178; Fat 1.3; Carbs 9; Protein 27.5
- Macros are for just the chicken mixture.
- Makes 5 servings that are about 7 oz each